Saturday, July 17, 2010

Male Depression is Killing Our Country

I thought I read or heard the following quote -- but I couldn't find it anywhere or who the quote is from.  So until someone tells me different, it's mine.

"If it's to be... it's up to me!"  ~ John W. Kirton Jr.

I'm come to this realization (the quote) recently.  You can wish and hope, or pray and curse or cry and complain.  But the bottom line in life is that, no one gives a rat's behind about digging you out from under YOUR problems.  There is so much lip service about helping the needy or giving 'service' to others (especially during Sunday School lessons) -- that the gum flapping is a hurricane category 5 wind storm!

Sure call me a cynic, an unbeliever -- but prove me wrong.  Sure there is occasions of help given during disaster relief.  And the only truly charitable relief for the average person during non-emergency times is 'Extreme Home Makeover: Home Edition.'  Other then that you are pretty much on your own.

Until now.

I have wanted, needed, desired, prayed for, screamed for, cried for -- a way or someone to help me come out of my depression of late.  But as I think about it more, I realize that I've had a really tough life that has caused me to be depressed and feel worthless since before my earliest childhood memories.

Because I know how much life can really suck, I'd like to do something about it to help others.  Specifically, men.

I found a book, "I don't want to talk about it" by Terrence Real.  The sub-title is: Overcoming the secret legacy of male depression.  The main point that I've gotten so far, is that men don't want to admit they are depressed.  The reason?  It's 'unmanly'.  They found that a male college roommate admitting he suffered from depression, was shunned more then if he said he had AIDS.

That's terrible!

It's hard enough to be depressed, but to seek help by opening yourself to a friend and to be treated worse than having a life-threatening communicable illness?  The natural tendency to NOT tell others is reinforced, and I'm sure the depressed person would then fall into ever-increasing despair.  Thanks!

I'm no doctor, but at least I'll be an understanding listening ear.  The statistics mentioned in the book, tell of ten's of billions of lost production each year.  And with the state of the economy and job losses -- the level of male despair and depression has to be rising to ever-increasing levels.

With this small little blog corner I'd like to add a group:

DUH!

Depressed Ugly Husbands.

Depressed - that's what we are.
Ugly - we must be, because no one wants to be around us because we are "depressed."
Husbands - we either are, want to be, used to be or have a woman we want in our lives.  Additionally, DUH! is catchy.

So if you, a friend or someone you know does not wish to formally admit to depression --  that's OK.  I'll listen and hopefully we are joined by others wanting to give or receive.